Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

• Aggressive
  • Alienated
  • Amazed
  • Amused
  • Angelic
  • Angry
  • Apelike
  • Artistic
  • Asleep
  • Balanced
  • Banhappy
  • Bashful
  • Bitching
  • Blah
  • Bookworm
  • Bored
  • Breezy
  • Brooding
  • Busy
  • Buzzed
  • Chatty
  • Cheeky
  • Cheerful
  • Cloud_9
  • Cold
  • Coldturkey
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Crappy
  • Creative
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Daring
  • Dead
  • Depressed
  • Devilish
  • Disagree
  • Doh
  • Doubtful
  • Dramaqueen
  • Dreaming
  • Drunk
  • Elated
  • Energetic
  • Fiendish
  • Fine
  • Flirty
  • Gloomy
  • Goofy
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Horny
  • Hot
  • Hungover
  • In-Love
  • Innocent
  • Inpain
  • Insomnious
  • Inspired
  • Lonely
  • Lucky
  • Lurking
  • Mellow
  • Mischievious
  • Mondayblues
  • Musical
  • Nerdy
  • None
  • Notamused
  • Notworthy
  • Paranoid
  • Pensive
  • Predatory
  • Procrastinating
  • Psychedelic
  • Question
  • Relaxed
  • Roflmao
  • Sad
  • Scared
  • Scurvy
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Sleepy
  • Sluggish
  • Sneaky
  • Snobbish
  • Spaced
  • Spooky
  • Sporty
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Sunshine
  • Sweettooth
  • Thinking
  • Tired
  • Torn
  • Twisted
  • Veggedout
  • Volatile
  • Woot
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
      Rookie
      Gaming

I have no Mood...

Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Achievements I Survived a Month!Can You Hear Me?I Don't Pay For FriendsBeginner Poster!A Little Bird Told Me

Bullet Blue Should I update my PC?

Hello all! So since 2014-2015 I've had this PC running which has the following specs., and I'd like to know if is it worth upgrading, changing? 'Cause I'm beginning to see some slowed down performance and such:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 [3.3-3.7 GHz]
      • GPU: EVGA GTX970 SSC [4GBDDR5]
      • HDD: Western Digital Blue [1TB]
      • SSD: SanDisk [120GB]
      • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X [1600MHz]
      • Motherboard: Gigabyte H97m-d3h
      • 2 Thermaltake Fans, 1 Cooler Master which is non-operational (dunno why, it's like stuck)
      • Thermaltake A31 Chaser [Case]

P.S: Also any comments on tech issues such as the fan not running would be appreciated! :P
      Last edited by F1re; 12-24-2019 at 11:14 AM.
      Former Hideout Raiders member.
      Soldier-X is the best.
      #yolo

Ţĥě ÇгέΔТΌΓ
      Walking on the moon...

Blah

Trophies
      Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Achievements Ouch My Ears!Beginner Poster!Friend AddictA Little Bird Told MevB Fast Track
      There is some room for upgrading for pretty cheap. If you are wanting to build a new machine, now is great time for it due to competitive pricing on boards and CPUs. If you can get it cheap enough (and your board supports it) You could pick up 2400 or 2600 DDR3 pretty cheap used. Same goes for a 4690k or i7 equivalent.
      [v34 Zombie Hideout Servers]

[v34 CS:S Servers]

[v34 DM Server]

[v34 GG Server]

[v34 Test Server]

Join The Steam Group
      Join [THC]
      Hideout Gaming Stats
      Hideout Gaming Photos
      Vote for HideoutGaming

Download --->ZHCSS

Zombie Hideout Janitor
      Chris

I have no Mood...

Trophies
      Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Achievements Ouch My Ears!Stop...Hammer Time!Friend AddictGood PosterHappy Anniversary!
      Commenting on your fan issue:

First thing you could do is clean any dust off completely. Next, see if it's hard to spin by hand; if it is then chances are the lubricant has dried up. You can use machine oil to re-lube it and see if that works. The bearing is usually hidden under the brand sticker.

Worst case scenario it's a electrical issue. You can try your hand to repairing it here but it's probably less hassle to just buy a new one.

Ţĥě ÇгέΔТΌΓ
      Walking on the moon...

Blah

Trophies
      Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Achievements Ouch My Ears!Beginner Poster!Friend AddictA Little Bird Told MevB Fast Track
      Quote Originally Posted by Soldier-X View Post
      Commenting on your fan issue:

First thing you could do is clean any dust off completely. Next, see if it's hard to spin by hand; if it is then chances are the lubricant has dried up. You can use machine oil to re-lube it and see if that works. The bearing is usually hidden under the brand sticker.

Worst case scenario it's a electrical issue. You can try your hand to repairing it here but it's probably less hassle to just buy a new one.
      Agreed, fans are so cheap that you might as well replace them once they start making any noise. I keep a few extras on hand just for this kind of thing. I suggest buying some cheap filters that go over your fan intakes, it helps a lot. They even have magnetic ones for pretty cheap but you can get the non magnetic ones for about $5 for 10 of them.

These are from China so you would have to wait about 3 weeks to get them but for $2...
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Compu....c100005.m1851

US seller for $7
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-120mm...cAAOSwdA5bPdrF

These of course won't fix your fan but will prevent dust getting into them and slowly ruining them.

What size fans do you need?

I checked and your board does support XMP memory profiles. So, you could buy faster ram. Your board does support faster CPU's as well. I would suggest looking for a i5 4690k for cheap. It's still a pretty solid gaming CPU if you look at benchmarks. With that being said, your current CPU is only about 15% slower... I would say with a 4690k and 2400mhz DDR3, you could expect about a 20-25% boost in performance.

That's about all you could get out of your current setup. Your video card would make the biggest difference at this point.

[v34 DM Server]

[v34 GG Server]

[v34 Test Server]

Join The Steam Group
      Join [THC]
      Hideout Gaming Stats
      Hideout Gaming Photos
      Vote for HideoutGaming

Download --->ZHCSS

Rookie
      Gaming

I have no Mood...

Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Achievements I Survived a Month!Can You Hear Me?I Don't Pay For FriendsBeginner Poster!A Little Bird Told Me
      Quote Originally Posted by Cadmin View Post
      There is some room for upgrading for pretty cheap. If you are wanting to build a new machine, now is great time for it due to competitive pricing on boards and CPUs. If you can get it cheap enough (and your board supports it) You could pick up 2400 or 2600 DDR3 pretty cheap used. Same goes for a 4690k or i7 equivalent.
      Thanks! I actually like that idea, do you think there's anything I'd be missing by upgrading my current set up rather than building one from scratch? 'Cause both are good ideas that I'd probably be able to finish during 2020 for sure.

@ both your posts about the fans
      To be completely honest, it hurts me a lil' bit the idea of just throwing these into the trash 'cause I'm into Sustainability & Circular Economy now, so yeah I'd opt for replacing its parts first-hand.
      They do not make any awful noise, it rather feels even by hand difficult to move, as if it was indeed dry or was too dirty.

However I like the idea of having spare fans though, is there any particular reason you recommend those? I notice that they include dust filtering screens.
      Soldier-X is the best.
      #yolo

Ţĥě ÇгέΔТΌΓ
      Walking on the moon...

Blah

Trophies
      Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Quote Originally Posted by F1re View Post
      Thanks! I actually like that idea, do you think there's anything I'd be missing by upgrading my current set up rather than building one from scratch? 'Cause both are good ideas that I'd probably be able to finish during 2020 for sure.

To be completely honest, it hurts me a lil' bit the idea of just throwing these into the trash 'cause I'm into Sustainability & Circular Economy now, so yeah I'd opt for replacing its parts first-hand.
      They do not make any awful noise, it rather feels even by hand difficult to move, as if it was indeed dry or was too dirty.

However I like the idea of having spare fans though, is there any particular reason you recommend those? I notice that they include dust filtering screens.

Those links are not for fans just the dust filters that go over them to prevent dust getting in your case. I can help you find a good deal on fans too. I just need to know your fan size. 120mm?

Building a new system would be much more future proof but if you can find the parts cheap enough, I would go that route.

[v34 DM Server]

[v34 GG Server]

[v34 Test Server]

Join The Steam Group
      Join [THC]
      Hideout Gaming Stats
      Hideout Gaming Photos
      Vote for HideoutGaming

Download --->ZHCSS

Rookie
      Gaming

I have no Mood...

Thanks
      Activity - Stats
      Activity - Bars
      Quote Originally Posted by Cadmin View Post
      Those links are not for fans just the dust filters that go over them to prevent dust getting in your case. I can help you find a good deal on fans too. I just need to know your fan size. 120mm?

Building a new system would be much more future proof but if you can find the parts cheap enough, I would go that route.
      Aight Ima start looking then.

Yeah I forgot to reply, sorry, they're indeed 120mm fans.
      Soldier-X is the best.
      #yolo